Definition: moving lightly; nimble.
1. Moving lightly; nimble.
2. Engaged in or having the power of flight.
1. Also called volant piece. Armor. A reinforcing piece for the brow of a helmet.
1. But here in the present case, to carry on the volant metaphor, (for I must either be merry or mad) is a pretty little Miss, just, come out of her hanging-sleeve coat, brought to buy a pretty little fairing; for the world, Jack, is but a great fair thou knowest; and, to give thee serious reflection for serious, all its toys but tinselled hobby horses, gilt gingerbread, squeaking trumpets, painted drums, and so forth.
- Samuel Richardson, Clarissa, Or, The History of a Young Lady
2. With Rube winging it that spring, the band blared, and the volant baseball team was unbeatable.
- Alan Howard Levy, Rube Waddell
Filed under: hmmm...